Today is week two of Thankfulness Thursdays where we meet up each week to share what we are thankful for from now until Thanksgiving. You can write a simple list or focus on writing about one thing you are thankful for. No rigid rules!
Also feel free to use the above image in your blog post if you wish!
You can find out more information about the link up here.
This week I have been thinking about this summer so far. School starts up next week and though I am no longer a student or yet to be a mom, I too seem to check out of summer when the kids go back to school and gear up for fall.
Though excited for this next season, I had to stop myself from feeling sad that we didn't do enough this summer...that we didn't have as many adventures as other people did. Because this summer has been a rough season of work for my husband and because of it we chose to lay low.
So today, I am celebrating and being thankful for the lazy summer that we had...and remembering we actually did have quite a few adventures!
1. Brent and I celebrated our engagement anniversary...three years later! It was an opportunity to be reminded of our story...how far we have come, what we have been through, and to look forward to the many years to come.
I am so thankful to have him as my best friend and as long as he is always by my side, life is right.
I have learned through this stressful season of work for him to refocus on my role as a wife. I have learned to better attend to his needs and joys in life. It has challenged me to let go of my agenda and be available to his.
Though stress is not enjoyable and feeling like it is just the two of us fighting through life sometimes, it has brought us closer in ways only rough seasons can. I am thankful for this time together to develop and enrich are relationship in beautiful new ways.
2. We headed to the State Fair, one of my favorite summer traditions started as a young child. We brought my parents along and I got to enjoy some childhood nostalgia. Plus I was reminded how hilarious my husband is. That face kills me!
3. We got a much needed day away at one of our favorite beaches. The ocean water speaks to my soul and refreshes my spirit.
4. We put up the long awaited picket fence and it is uh-MAZE-ing! Come the first day of school I am going to be sitting pretty on my porch watching everyone walk AROUND our grass! I have been wanting this for years. Since we moved in. So this was quite a big task to finally accomplish...physically and financially. I am VERY thankful!
5. I may have not had the opportunity to spend a lot of time with friends, but the few I did spend with were 100% quality. This picture is of my "Adventure Club" clan. We go on adventures a few times a month...doing something outdoorsy. And the thing that is truly amazing about it is that though our focus is on enjoying the outdoors it is more about the relationship. Great conversation, honesty, and healing come from our trips and I am so thankful for these cherished friends in my life.
6. Spending my days with this guy. I suppose taking care of a baby slows down my activity and productivity but seeing photos like these remind me that my time is being invested into something so much more. Knowing that I get to be such a big part of this little guy's life is truly fulfilling and reminds me to slow down in life and be in the moment.
All this to say, I really did have a great summer. Even if for a second, I doubted myself. Being a sensitive soul, I compare myself too often to other people's lives and sometimes miss out on embracing my own. When in fact, I have much to be thankful for.
What are you thankful for this week?